After you select a move in a game, a text box for a game message opens below the game board. You can enter your message and then submit the move with it.
To control which users can read your message there are three methods to write game messages. These may be combined.
- If the message should be visible to all users at all times (game still running or already finished):
Enclose the text in public-comment tags: <c>public text</c>
This is useful to let observers see your comments, e.g. the sensei account uses this way for teaching games.
- If the message should be visible only to yourself while the game is still running, but be visible to your opponents after the game is finished and never be visible for any other user:
Enclose the text in mysecret-comment tags: <m>text</m>
This can be used to let your opponent know some hints or thinking on moves after the game has finished. Be careful that you close the hidden-tag correctly, otherwise the text is visible for the other player as well. To verify the correct syntax you may use the "Preview" button before you submit the move and message.
If there are secret comments, the opponents will be informed about it at the end of the game.
- If the message should be visible only to yourself while the game is still running, but be visible to all users after the game is finished:
Enclose the text in hidden-comment tags: <h>text</h>
This is similar to the mysecret game comments, but will also be shown to all other users after the game is finished.
If there are hidden comments, the opponent and observers will be informed about it at the end of the game.
- If the message should be visible only to the game players having a private talk with your opponent(s) at all times (game still running or already finished):
Write normal text and do NOT enclose the text in <c> or <h> tags.
Example text (the colors are the same as shown on a Preview
normal private text, <m>secret text,</m>
normal private text, <h>hidden text,</h>
normal private text, <c>public text</c>
<c>public text <h>hidden nested part</h> more public text</c>
Example steps to see game messages:
- In one of your running games enter a game message (as described above).
- Submit your move with the game message.
- Download the SGF: There are several options how to download a SGF, that differ dependent on what markup you used.
- View the SGF.
The public and hidden tags can also be written in a longer form:
* <comment> ... </comment> is the same as <c> ... </c>
* <hidden> ... </hidden> is the same as <h> ... </h>
* <mysecret> ... </mysecret> is the same as <m> ... </m>